Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A list of projects


Not a particularly engaging title, I admit... ;)




  1. 3D laser scanner. I
    do a bit of this stuff at work, but I came across a couple of websites
    with some fascinating homebrew laser scanners, for making 3D models of Things around the Home. I would love to make
    one. No practical reason, other than the learning experience, I guess! As examples we have crazily homebrew, or slightly more sensible homebrew.

  2. Political cartoonery. I
    had this great idea for a cartoon of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. (This
    will be completely meaningless to anyone outside the UK, but what the
    hey). Entitled 'the Carrot and the Stick', Tony will be this Ken
    Dodd-like figure, grinning maniacally and brandishing a tickling stick
    (note for those lucky enough to live outside the UK: tickling stick = a
    feather duster). Gordon will stand just behind, wearing a bulky rabbit
    costume and a face like thunder, and generally looking extremely
    threatening. Cradled in his hands, where a nightclub bouncer might
    cradle his baseball bat, will be an enormous carrot.

  3. Design Dream House. My
    parents built their own house. I seriously want to do that. I know I
    could, and it would be brilliant. I wish I'd done architecture instead
    of design.

  4. Write book.
    Actually I've
    already done this once; it was science fiction, and I wrote it for the
    Games Workshop people. They didn't publish it; the plot got a little
    complicated. I found it way too difficult to write a straight-up
    blood-and-guts gothic heroism story - hey, I'm a complicated guy. My
    characters were complicated, okay? My hero went mad. That just doesn't
    do it for your basic nine-year-old Space Marine fanatic. Someday I'll
    come back to it and rewrite; more likely
    I'll try and start from scratch again.

  5. Lego robot for sweeping floors. Preferably
    solar powered. Got all excited about the new Lego robot sets which are
    coming out in August (ish). Need to justify it somehow. Since I have no
    carpets, a simple sweeping robot that I could fire-and-forget (like,
    forever) should be adequate. Can't afford to go out and blow the
    necessary cash right now, though... but you can now download design software for
    designing stuff in Lego
    . How crazy is that? (Mind you, the software doesn't get a stunningly good press).









No comments: