Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Simon Norfolk, postwar photographer








(via BLDGBLOG)

BLDGBLOG's Geoff Manaugh interviews Simon Norfolk, a photographer, apparently.

Which is nice.

And would be the end of the story, but the photos themselves are incredibly compelling, and the stories they tell fascinating. Maybe as a result of his former career as a photojournalist, Simon concentrates on war - not the 'guy on a ridge in a turban watching a very, very far away explosion', but the air-conditioned supercomputers which design and simulate nuclear warheads, and the vast and silent arrays of surveillance aerials (check out the photos of Ascension Island, fantastic!) - and at the other end of the scale, the buildings that have been chipped and scarred by generations of bullets and shells. Not to mention the worn staircases of Auschwitz. It's an incredibly interesting interview, too. Highly recommended.









5 comments:

Andrew C said...

That picture reminds me of a scene from Pink Floyd's film- The Wall, for some reason

Something like this, perhaps :

Matt F said...

It does, doesn't it? It put me in mind of that weird eighties BBC scifi, Tripods. That show used to scare me shitless.

Calum Fisher said...

"I can’t believe that photographers go into war zones dressed like soldiers! Soldiers are the people they shoot at. If I could wear a clown suit I would do it – if I could wear the big shoes and everything. I would wear the whole fucking thing."

I like this guy very much. And the photos are fantastic. Cheers, moom!

Matt F said...

:-) I had to smile at the image of him with this bloody great antique camera, crouched under the black cloth in the middle of a raging firefight. "Sorry, don't mind me, you just carry on..."

Chemer Bneemer said...

I found you via a search and I think anyone that has an Interest in Autism apart from the negative is worth talking to.

I got diagnosed at 34 with Aspergers. It was probably too late for me to get help. I have mainly had to muddle through as best as I could in life. Taking all the knocks, cruel jokes at work and also failed relationships on the chin. At least now I have met an Aspie type of woman who is a great person and we have hit it off. She is not all about makup and what the latest fashions are and I feel at home with her. She is not ugly either, although she tends to see herself as a freak because her friends like to do the makeup thing and the pretty dresses etc. All of this she can't stand.

Anyway just wanted to say great work putting the word out there.

Steve