Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Worldchanging: Eat what you want, pay what you can


Wow.

Opening a restaurant where customers choose how much to pay for their food seems the height of foolishness - but there are at least two restaurants (one in Denver, one in Salt Lake City) that seem to be making a go of it. Okay, so the owners aren't taking salaries, but even so, it's pretty amazing.

And that concludes today's inspirational piece. From worldchanging. Incidentally, I bought their book at the weekend. It's pretty cool, although like all such sourcebooks, it will be out of date in another six months.



4 comments:

XXXX YYYY said...

An excellant idea. I see it started as a charity and grew.

Paul ◘ said...

I knew a guy who'd open whatever he saw and pay a share of the total cost for what of it he'd taken. LMAO.

   He never adulterated, contaminated, or destroyed the unused portion; so, I guess he reasoned that, for 25¢ no one would beholden him a few nails from a box of 100, or a handful of Epsom salts, and in that he was more respectable than people who open a box of 20 Slim Jims™ only to eat one in the store and leave the open box to waste.

He got sent up for the behavior, eventually.

Matt Worldgineer said...

I've been to a very good vegan cafeteria - I think it was in Vancouver - that had a sliding scale price. Anything you bought was $x/pound - I don't remember the price, but it was fairly expensive. But they had a sign informing you that the cost is negotiable depending on your income level. I suppose as long as you don't end up with a constant flow of poverty-stricken customers it at least makes it easy on the cashier.

Murali Madhavan said...

# Since opening, one man has regularly come in and left money on the counter without eating, stating "I was blessed today so I though I'd pass it on." He's homeless.#
Many are more blessed and better placed than him, but none has the heart of this man.