Wednesday, May 09, 2007

It's been a bad day for architecture.



First of all, I discover via inhabitat that Kisho Kurakawa's Capsule Tower is to be demolished. This will make all fans of Transport Tycoon very sad (incidentally, I never realized that Chris Sawyer took so many of the buildings in the game from local landmarks in Glasgow). It makes me a bit sad, too - all of Japan's major architecture institutions have pleaded for a refit rather than demolition, and it seems sad to me that a design which has modularity as its central concept is not being allowed the chance to really put that modularity to the test - after all, so far, none of the capsules has ever been removed. Residents have complained (And with good reason, imho) that the pods are small, and have become increasingly unpleasant to live in; but why not replace a bundle of two or four capsules with a single, larger, more modern living space? All sorts of exciting possibilities suggest themselves.



Money, that's what it boils down to. A new-build can fit more people onto the land, which means more money. Shame.

And then on top of that, BBC's PM programme has just informed me that the current architect in charge of completing Gaudi's famous Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona has warned that it could collapse even before it is finished, thanks to an underground railway which is planned to run under the site. I can't find any confirmation on that, though, not anywhere on the web - so I might be spreading scurrilous lies. I truly hope so.















6 comments:

k_sra sra said...

Fer crying out loud! They can't destroy gaudi! that's just not right!

Doctor Curry said...

Jeez - no respect for the past! NY is full of magnificent buildings that aren't there any more. Um, you know what I mean...

Andrew C said...

I'm not sure that Gaudi-bit's true - Near where I live is London's most hated building (60's-70's? Black Obelisk Office building of a thing - so ugly, they built it twice) - They want to pull it down, but it'd cost too much to do it slowly/safely - They can't drop it, as the Northern Line runs underneath it, so there it remains.


(Sorry, I realise my point's not that clear - I can't believe they'd build a tunnel under something that may collapse into the tunnel)

charl * said...

This is an outrage. I truly hope they will come to their senses.

john smith said...

The building may be architecturally significant but that's largely irrelevant. It's not fit for purpose. That's the overiding concern that kills off most buildings.

If it's not economically efficient then no-one wants to own it, unless it's subject to a grant or bequest and thus owes no-one an earn.

Japan has quite a number of funky buildings, and a long history of maintaining traditional architecture. If they've decided it's not worth keeping then it may well be past its usefulness.

Many of Frank lloyd Wright's buildings are now museums. Those that aren't are in danger of demolition, I'm sure.

Steph Rana said...

Streuth almighty! I went to that cathedral and it looks to be a brilliant structure, even with all the 'work in progress' stuff it has around it currently. Either a convenient railway, or a brilliant cathedral - I'd go with the latter if I had to choose.