Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Oh, it's going to be close.



44,200 words. Two days, ten hours to go. Oooh, bugger. I never thought I'd be worried about which time zone the deadline was in.


"Hi, thanks for watching CT9, rolling news for the Saturn system. Top stories
today: the Hyperion anomaly continues to mystify amateur astronomers across the
system. So far, no statements have been forthcoming from any of the major
settlements on the subject of why Hyperion's density appears to have
dramatically dropped. Although no link has been confirmed, we're also receiving
reports that for the first time in one hundred and fifty years, Titan station is
refusing entry to all incoming vessels. In a statement, Government Joe said,
'this two-week closure has been necessitated by some indications of increased
biological contamination in Titan Station's systems. The results of our
continuous monitoring program are freely available, and show that at no time has
anyone been in any danger from these contaminants; this closure is a preventive
measure to stop the problem in its tracks.' However, experts have pointed out
that the closure is expected to end soon after Hyperion will have passed its
closest point to Titan, and are claiming there is a link between the two
occurrences.


"In other news, a
group of miners are trapped in Tibur Chasma on Dione,
after-"

The captain gestured
at the screen, and it went silent, leaving the vacuously pretty android mouthing
happily as scenes of disaster played out behind her.

"So Government Joe
has already started." Bernard commented.

"I'm
sorry?"

"On Miguel's plans
for Hyperion. Sounds like the first part of the plan is already afoot - all that
stuff about Hyperion's density sounds very much like Miguel's TMP idea." He
realized the man opposite him was giving him a patient look.

"I'm sorry?
Plan?"

"Oh." Briefly, he
sketched out Miguel's plan for Hyperion. "So the first part of it would seem
well under way. Maybe government Joe is going to use Titan station as a
marshalling yard for the construction crews on the second phase. Bit early for
that, though. I very much doubt they'll be ready to begin building properly for
another few weeks at least."

The Captain's brow
furrowed. "Hmmm... it sounds plausible, I'll grant you. But I don't know... it
still doesn't stack up right, somehow. Between you and me, scuttlebutt around
the mining fleets has it that Government Joe is screaming blue
murder, and beefing up Titan station's anti-collision
defences."

Bernard considered
this. "That's not so surprising," he said slowly. "I mean, any mistakes
with the earthmoving phase and it's quite likely that some loose stuff is going
to spiral inwards, down towards Saturn. It's inevitable that some of that may go
through Titan airspace. I'll bet the Inner moon governments are pretty
disgusted. Any pieces hit them, and Titan will be in for some serious lawsuits.
Miguel-" still just saying the name made his gut twist "- didn't budget for
that. Oops."

The captain tapped
his teeth thoughtfully with a biro. "Well," he said eventually, "it leaves me
with a problem."

"Yes, I can see
that."

"Really?"

"Yes, of course.
Titan was your next destination after Dione, wasn't it? So..." The captain was
shaking his head. "That's not your problem."

"No. That's not my
problem." He leaned forward. "You're right, I don't want to go to Titan. I
was under instructions to deliver that mystery ship to Titan, but that
was okay. I could leave it in orbit anywhere I liked. I could even park it next
to Titan Station, as long as I didn't try to dock with the Station itself.
Actually, I was planning to insert the ship into a generously wide orbit and
leave it there for Government Joe to pick up. But apparently that's no longer
acceptable."

"No?"

"No. It was fine
when there was no time pressure, but I've just received instructions from Titan
that change the original deal significantly."

Bernard considered
this. "You could ignore them."

He grimaced. "The
collective's legal system says not. I'm contractually obliged to follow these
new instructions, unless they endanger my ship or crew. Frankly, though, the
course of action proposed is not to my liking."

Bernard sat
patiently.

"Here's the problem:
Government Joe now wants this mystery ship delivered to Titan-Haut asap. Our ETA
now would be a few days before Hyperion's closest approach, which doesn't fill
me with confidence given all the stuff we've been hearing. Also, he doesn't just
want the ship any more."

Bernard's heart
sank. "He wants me."

The captain nodded
solemnly.





No comments: