Thursday, February 15, 2007

Housekeeping: Belkin wireless router


I own a Belkin cable wireless router (model F5D7230-4).
Over the time
I've had it, it's generally been rubbish, and certainly never stayed up
for more than twenty four hours. In the beginning, I didn't even notice
the problem, but it got worse and worse - the thing would just stop,
and hang until I turned it off and turned it on again.



Doing some research, I found this is quite common, and the thing is in
general deemed to be a piece of shit. The general advice appears to be
'take it back to the shop and get something that works'; however, being
a lazy soul (and being unsure of what I did with the receipt), I
experimented. I figured it looked like an overheating problem, so:



I took the lid off.



So far, it's been on solidly for about a fortnight, and no problems. It
appears that the heat sink works a lot better without the top shell. So
far so good.



Anyway, thought I'd post this as it may be of help to someone who has problems with this device.

UPDATE: after working for another week, the thing died completely and utterly and resisted all attempts at resuscitation. I have gone out and bought another router from a different manufacturer. I won't be buying Belkin any more.









No comments: