Thursday, April 20, 2006

I have enough (or, I wanna grok my living room)


This weekend, I've been down to Devon to have a traditional family
Easter (complete with Easter Egg Treasure Hunt). This trip had an
ulterior motive, however; I'm moving into a new flat in a months' time,
and I wanted to pick up some of the stuff I stored at my parents' more
than a year ago, when I first moved up to Edinburgh. There is rather a
lot of it. Basically, there are three categories - crockery (2 boxes),
project and design materials (3 boxes), and books - 4 boxes. After
staring at it for a bit, I've taken the tiniest amount ( barely half a
box of plates and bowls an mugs and things) and left the rest for
another time.

Now I'm on the train heading north, and I've just been reading the
despairing voice of a middle aged mother, railing against
consumerism (jackie ashley in the Guardian, Easter Monday 2006).
Beneath the reasoned argument, I suspect that she's simply sickened by
the nightmare of taking a teenage daughter to the shoe department of
Oxford Street's Top Shop, but her plea for a rational type of
anti-consumerism strikes a chord with me. This shouldn't come as any
great surprise, really. Anyone connected with design will wonder at
some point if their lives are not simply devoted to creating more
landfill. In ironic fact, this is particularly true of that sexiest
branch of design, consumer goods, and becomes more pressing the more
successful your product is.



Anyway. The point is, I've just had to confront my possessions (ahem...
okay, maybe half my possessions. Well, less than half, then. A quarter,
probably. Not including the furniture), and I have to admit one thing:

I have enough stuff.



I'm naturally acquisitive. I like having stuff. But the result of my
acquisitive nature is stored across the country in my parents' house,
in my brother' house, and finally in rented storage in Edinburgh. Most
of the books at my parents' actually belong to me.



I have one or two bits and pieces I still desire, and this will get
worse when I finally move into my new flat and decide on what furniture
I need. But it's an addictive hit, and a binge of spending is like any
other binge - the feeling you're left with, finally, is guilt.



So what to do about it? How do I cut down my spending? I already have
one tactic - buy expensive stuff. That way, at least I can't afford
that much. But it does mean I can't afford other stuff either, like
holidays.

Another easily done action; live life over a longer timescale. If you
don't have a pair of headphones with you, don't buy one when you have
three pairs at home. But I already spend a lot of time in
anticipation (life will be okay when I move into my new flat, etc.,
etc.)



Learn to delegate, or subcontract. Too many of my purchases a to do
with extending my own capabilities, because I want to do one particular
thing. For example, I bought a folding keyboard for my PDA because I
want to be able to write stuff while not carrying my laptop around.
That one has been used a lot, but there are other examples which have
been less successful. One current one is that I want a digital SLR
because I've found a piece of software that can recreate 3D models from
a series of photos, as long as those photos are all taken at the same
focus. My digital camera has automatic focusing and you can't override
it - but a digital SLR would be able to control this. Now I'm tempted
to allow myself to buy this, but only if I get rid of my conventional
35mm SLR first. So, that's going on eBay. But that's hardly breaking the
cycle of consumerism, is it?



So what else?



I have a plan for when I get to my new flat. All the unpacking will go
into one room, and I will sit and meditate in the empty living room
until I decided what the space itself requires. I will not buy furniture
before it arrives. I will not buy furniture before I am sure I know
what the space needs, and what will complement it. the kitchen can be
designed without too much reference, because it is a practical space -
but the living area has a much greater need for psychological insight,
and that takes time. So, nothing until I grok my living room.





1 comment:

Murali Madhavan said...

Hoarding can create piles of trouble later
March 23, 2006
With spring near, the thought of cleaning the house creeps into my mind.

When I moved back into the family home in 2000, Mother and I had to consolidate two households. This is nearly impossible without physically removing some items from the home. For the elderly, specifically my mother, it was very hard for her to let go of some things.

As a caregiver, I had enough on my plate without having to convince her that we really did not need 40 years of Scottish calendars or 500 issues of National Geographic. I'll bet she didn't even know they were there until I went to toss them out.

Since Mother's death in January, I have a little more flexibility in determining what's worth keeping. In the January 2003 issue of Aging, hoarding is defined as "the acquisition of and failure to discard things that are useless or of no value. As a result, living spaces become cluttered; the activity for which the space was designed is impossible."

Hoarding is more likely to be a problem when a person ages because of risks of falling, respiratory problems and difficulties in managing the vast number of items that they have collected over the years.

Very little is known about this phenomenon. Hoarding has a strong familial link, but it is unclear whether it is the result of genetics, environment or both.

I suspect that I have the "pack-rat" gene from both sides of my family, but I try to control it, like some of my other obsessive-compulsive tendencies. Indeed, hoarding has been linked to this disorder, cognitive impairment, a symptom of depression and a number of other conditions.

Despite its link to disorders, some individuals who hoard have a high level of functioning in other areas of their lives. Ironically, a person might merely be trying to cope and think that they're in control of their environment.

In all fairness, possessions are central to one's identity, and we do form emotional attachments to them. They are clearly related to memories, and these are very reassuring as we age.

But hoarding can become a public health problem when one considers the threat of fires, as well as rat and insect infestation.

Several of my friends have concerns about the "junk" that their parents have accumulated and know they'll ultimately be responsible for "dehoarding." One friend had a creative idea and gave her parents a visit from 1-800-GOT-JUNK, the world's largest junk-removal service, as a Christmas present.

Henriette Kellum, a licensed clinical social worker, offers other intervention tips in her "Hoarding Behavior Training" handout:

Try to be empathetic with the hoarder and involve them in problem-solving.

Consider that many hoarders lack the motivation to change and do not see hoarding as a problem.

The elderly might have poor eyesight or lack the ability to sort and organize the items that they've collected. To do so might be overwhelming.

Remember that hoarding is not a voluntary choice or lifestyle. In its extreme form, it is a symptom of an illness. Assess the senior's mental and physical status carefully.

Suggest alternate uses for items and offer incentives for progress toward reducing accumulation.

The hoarder has false beliefs about their possessions, so arguing or trying to reason will be fruitless.

Focus on reducing the risk.

Respect the elderly's right to self-determination and their attachment to their possessions.

And I will also throw in to pray for patience and strength. To all the readers who might be pack rats, I hope you are not too offended by this article. If so, cut out my column, throw it away and put the rest of the newspaper on the stack with the others.

Janet Millard is development director at the Peninsula Agency on Aging. Contact her at 873-0541 or dev@paainc.org.

(This is (was) the URL for the story: http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/dp-89074sy0mar23,0,3737652.story.
But gets an error message. Hence the entire article posted in reply).