Thursday, October 19, 2006

Broken Angel

http://www.flickr.com/photos/onebadapple/sets/127493/show/
I guess this is probably a well-known landmark to any New Yorkers reading this, but it's the first time I've come across Broken Angel - the combined home and sculpture-in-progress of Arthur and Cindy Wood. They're now threatened with eviction after a small fire in the upper floors attracted the attention of the New York City Building department, so this collection of photos from their son may soon become a memorial rather than a living record. Let's hope that doesn't happen; while most of their art is not to my taste (which doesn't run to pigeon skeletons nailed to the wall), I think the house itself is fantastic.

3 comments:

charl * said...

That saddens me. I hope they receive the work and/or funds to bring it up to code.

Peter Sealy said...

I never heard of it before I saw the article in yesterday's paper.

Paul ◘ said...

Borders on the "too" bizarre. I give them credit and a big thumb up for doing what, in another incarnation, I would have surely done had I not found a buyer.